Aug 24, 2010

What's With the Chain License Plate Frame?

Abigail and Dolley readers I was driving home today and noticed a chain license frame on the back of a nice minivan driven by a black woman. For years I did not know what it symbolized and thought they were actually quite stylish (yes, I know, naive...) until my husband informed me that it was a symbol of slavery. I must confess I was confused why anyone would want to sport that on their car - the last time I looked, slaves had been free for about 140 years.

There are a couple of Bible verses I have memorized over the years: "All things work together for the good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose." There is another that says, "What the Devil meant for evil, I have used for your good." Should those verses not be applied to every person who was brought to the USA in chains? Should we not be grateful that we are here and let go of the pain and the victim mentality?

I mean seriously, have you looked at Africa lately? Not exactly a bastion of freedom, opportunity, and long life, if you know what I mean. Anyone born in this country has been given a gift of immeasurable worth, why do you want to go back to slavery? Why do you put that on your car? I just don't get it.