Mar 21, 2010

I'm Here All Week - Don't Forget To Tip Your Servers

Abigail and Dolley readers this is from an outstanding FB post I saw this morning.  It rang a bell with me and I wanted to share it with you.  My sisters and I all put ourselves through college waiting tables and bartending, that is some seriously hard work.  I have used the multi-tasking skills I learned as a waitress throughout my life and have an appreciation for the people that serve me in a restaurant. Here are the posts:

Stevie:  
I thought everyone in the USA knew that the average deserved tip for a waitress/ waiter at a restaurant or bar was 15%(slack) or 25% (generous).  Evidently not. I'm not in that business, but have learned that certain people don't know this common courtesy. Maybe we should cut those people off from going out or at least get the opportunity to hear why they're so cheap. If you can't afford to tip, stay your a^#  at home.

Lisa:
Stevie, thank you for this post. Most people think that wait staff (waitresses, waiters, bartenders, etc.) are uneducated, uninformed, stupid members of society. I have an associates degree in criminal science, and have worked in numerous fields of law but I have gone back to bartending. I love my job, and I don't have some a+*hole calling me at 1:00 a.m., making me go to the office, in downtown, to look for a fax. I order my liquor on Monday, pick it up on Tuesday, and wait for beer deliveries throughout the week. I am the accountant, book keeper, liaison with the county and state alcohol boards, and have to deal with other state agencies on a daily basis.
People think that their lives are so hard, and that we "the little people" should kiss their asses and then get tipped nothing, BULLS*&#!.....I will and have stopped serving those a$$holes. Keep your a$$ out of my bar if you can't appreciate my services.


Dolley:
I waited tables through college. One time this lady said to me, "What are you going to do when you get out in the real world?" I said, "Well, I guess when I get off work I won't have to roll silverware, mop the floor and empty the garbage. When I go home I will be able to watch TV and not think about the research projects and exams I have coming up. Nor will I have to go to school 20 hours a week and work 30, plus I will have a lot more money. So I guess I am going to enjoy the real world, since it will be like a vacation compared to this."  I got a pretty good tip from her husband.

The moral of the story - do not assume just because someone is in the service industry that they couldn't find a "real job".  Appreciate good service, tip well, and remember God will not be mocked, you will reap what you sow.  Let me end by giving a great big thank you to all you waiters, waitresses, hostess, and bartenders - Joe public isn't easy, but we sure do appreciate you.  Thanks!