May 8, 2011

Ears to Hear

Abigail and Dolley readers I have a funny tale to relate to you.  This afternoon I was out for my daily walk and prayer time.  I do this about 5 days a week, weather and ankles permitting.  We live in a nice neighborhood, but this world is crazy and I am always aware of my surroundings, you know a girl can not be too careful.  So I keep an eye on work trucks, strange cars, and of course white paneled vans.  Today, a black Explorer eased slowly past me and came to a stop about a dozen yards ahead.  It seemed a little suspicious to me, so I turned down a side street that I had previously skipped trying to avoid whatever was going on in that vehicle. 

When I got back to the main road there was no Explorer in sight, so I forgot about it and went on.  I rounded the corner and the Explorer was back.  It sped toward me and pulled along side quickly.  There was a man and a woman in the car and I felt no menace from them.  I expected that they would ask me for directions.  Instead, in a Midwestern Accent and with an expression of complete exasperation the man said to me, "Do you know where that alarm is coming from?"

I must have smiled and replied, "That's not an alarm.  Those are cicadas." He clearly had never heard of a cicada so I elaborated.  "It's a bug."

Cicada
He turned to his wife in astonishment and repeated, "It's a bug."

"Yeah, they come out about every 13 years or so."

He did not find it amusing but I quickly was, he shook his head and said, "It has been driving us crazy!"  I laughed and walked off thinking of this poor couple driving around Charlotte trying to find the alarm that was going off!  Well, I hope they can relax now and they sure gave me a good laugh.

Update:  Since some of you live where you do not have cicadas, here is a short video of my backyard so you can hear for yourself.  Enjoy!