Aug 21, 2013

Garden Patties

Abigail and Dolley readers every year my Sister puts in a wonderful organic garden, this year the squash and zucchini were abundant and we were looking for ways to cook the end of the season bounty.  I came up with this simple gem and thought I would share it. 

Squash
Zucchini
Potato
Egg
Bread Crumbs
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Onion Powder

For this recipe I shredded 2 yellow neck squash, 1 medium zucchini, and 1 Yukon Gold potato.  I salted the veggies and let them sit in a fine mesh strainer so most of the water would leach out.  This takes about 20 minutes.  In a large bowl, I seasoned the veggies with salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder.  Stir in two eggs and enough bread crumbs to soak up the egg. 

Heat a large pan over medium high heat with enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan and up the side 1/4 inch.  Once the oil is hot, form the veggie mixture into patties, drop in the oil, flip when golden brown and crispy.

These were delightful and a great way to use up that squash and zucchini that was starting to "show a little age".