Jun 6, 2010

The Mad Gardener

Abigail and Dolley readers this is a note I wrote last Spring.  I hope you enjoy it.

Once upon a time, I was a gardener. I was passionate, I was inventive, I was tireless in pursuit of the prettiest garden I could imagine. It started with a six pack of vincas and a half price bag of dahlia tubers from Walmart. I dug out around a tree at my townhouse with a big spoon. The vincas flourished and the dahlias were spectacular. It was on.

I read everything I could lay my hands on about gardening. I truly became a kitchen table scholar. I took classes at the local community college on landscape design, perennial gardening, and color gardening. I knew the Latin names of plants and could tell you preferred cultivars. I lugged rocks from the townhouse natural areas and proceeded to badly encroach upon the neighbors property and the common area of the town house. I was the mad gardener and it was beautiful.

I rubbed my hands together in greedy anticipation of the half acre of land at our new house. My plans were extensive, but the funds were limited. I got a decent start and then along came the baby. My days of leisurely hours after work and all weekend came to a gradual end as the priorities of the house shifted. The garden was neglected and even one year, I let it get completely overrun with weeds. It was a bad season. In many ways, I still fight the weeds I allowed to flourish that one bad season. Perhaps it will take years to eradicate them completely.

Gardening in many ways follows the pattern of my spiritual life and my relationship to the Savior. It started slow, caught fire, burned bright, then priority shifted and one season of allowing the weeds in can have long lasting ramifications.

I am back in the garden again. My son is growing up and I find that the desire has returned to get back out there and dig in the dirt. I have done a lot of prep and preventative work lately to keep it from becoming a chore. I even did some "kitchen table scholar" stuff this weekend and learned about intensive gardening and companion planting. So if you all will indulge me, I am going to blog a bit on the progress this garden and perhaps it will be some fun to watch this grow.

Dolley
The not so "mad" gardener