Jun 9, 2010

Why Don't We Throw Parties Anymore?

Abigail and Dolley readers - when is the last time you went to a party?  Now if you are over 30, when is the last time you went to a party that was not a birthday party or a holiday party?  I will bet you it has been a long time.  I honestly can't remember the last time I went to someone's house simply because they were having a party.  Growing up, my parents were not what you would call "Party Animals" but they had and attended parties on a regular basis.  When did this stop and why haven't we noticed that it did?

I would venture to say, it stopped when Better Homes and Gardens entered everyone's home.  I remember running around with the other children while the adults had their party.  Kids explore all areas of a house during a party and I never remember being particularly impressed with anyone's house, it was just where they lived.  We were not there to see the house and admire the decor, we were there to visit and have fun.  We don't do that any longer because we will have a party when we buy new living room furniture, or patio furniture, or pressure wash the deck, or fix the front door, or the zillion other things that keep our houses out of Better Homes and Gardens and keep our friends at keyboard distance.

We have lost something, America.  We are too concerned with what others think about our houses than we are about connecting with our friends and neighbors.  We have stopped rolling down the windows, cranking up the tunes, and having fun.  Maybe it is just me, but I am determined to bring "fun" back into my life.  I have been flying around town in my black sports car with the sun roof open and the iPod cranked.  Now if I could just convince my husband George to let me have that party.....  You wanna come?