Dec 10, 2010

Friday Evening Ponderings and a Little Pep Talk from Dolley Madison

Abigail and Dolley readers, I have to say I am sorry.  Many of you loyal readers have come to this site for political commentary and it just aint happinin'.  I am sure as seasons go, I will once again pick up  the pen and begin pontificating on the events of the day, but alas, I am tired of it.  I am worn out with watching the left destroy my country.  I am worn out with the daily political action alerts I receive in my email.  I am not listening to talk radio, checking Drudge on the hour, watching Fox for hours on end, and going through my fb pages for interesting political articles and discussions.  I am just not interested in any of it at this point.  The pox on them all!

That does not mean that my brain has stopped thinking, oh contrare!  I have had an absolute creative explosion in the last few weeks; my book, my garden, my house, and mostly my job.  It has almost been a fugue.  Many wonderful things have been born of this episode but the most profound was this statement:

Knowing where you want to go is one thing but knowing how to get there is another.

It came to me in a moment of clarity and suddenly all of the disenfranchised puzzle pieces fell into place and it started clicking.  Everyone has dream, places they want to go, things they want to do, a life they want to live but without a plan, they will never be anything other than dreams.  The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step - I know it is hackneyed and clique but it is appropriate.

Start at the end and work backwards.  Find the half way point and keep going - all the way back to where you are right now.  Look at the difference between right now and your goal.  Determine a time frame and set incremental goals that get you where you want to go.  Write it down.  Share it with others.  Inspire yourself.  Grow, learn, seek, improve but most of all move forward.  No one is stopping you except yourself.  Get out there and do it, you can, this is America, Baby. 

We can still be whatever we want to be!  We can still achieve the impossible.  We can still make it, and rock the World while we are doing it because it is bred in us.  It is in the fundamental DNA of the American Spirit and we are indeed Mighty and Great.  So be a Patriotic American and live your dream, make your wealth, achieve your success.  Take that first step, We The People are behind you cheering you on.