Apr 22, 2019

A Child's Drawing

(Originally published 10/28/11)

Yesterday, as I was driving to work, I was in prayer. I surrendered my day and asked Him to use me in any way He saw fit. As I sat at the stoplight, I realized how inadequate and fallible I am, even in the midst of obedience and faithfulness. In my human skin, this is the best I am going to get. I am doing all the things He direct Christians to do. I am praying, reading my Bible, going to church, surrendering my will to His direction, and humbly worshiping; yet I am still full of sin.

He gently stroked my head and brought this image to my mind. As a parent, your small child will present you with a drawing. Perhaps it is a card or a picture they sat at their table and lovingly made something special. They present their work of art, proud and hoping you will love it. It was the best they could do. You smile broadly and gush over how beautiful it is; you hug and thank them for the wonderful gift. You do not judge it for what it is not, for it is not the Mona Lisa. You recognize the offering is precious because they are incapable of doing better, and you love them and the picture, exactly the way it is. That is the way God sees us and our offerings to Him, not as a critic, but as a loving parent. I am so grateful for that.

We must try to remember, when we look down at our little offerings, that we should not be critics either. For one day, we will stand before the King, and the offerings we gave Him will be more magnificent than any artwork ever created by human hands. His hand will have perfected us and the gifts. We will rejoice together in this marvelous thing He has done.