Oct 28, 2011

A Child's Drawing

Yesterday, as I was driving to work, I was in prayer before the Lord.  I was surrendering my day to Him and asking Him to use me in anyway He saw fit.  As I sat at the stop light, I was struck by how absolutely inadequate and fallible I am, even in the midst of obedience and faithfulness.  In my human skin, this is as good as I am going to get.  I am doing all of the things we are directed to do as Christians: I am praying, reading my Bible, going to church, surrendering my will to his direction, and humbly worshiping before the Lord, yet I am still so full of sin.

He gently stroked my head and brought this image to my mind.  As a parent, often your small child will come and present you with a wonderful drawing they have made for you.  Perhaps it is a card or a picture that they have sat at their table and lovingly made you something special.  They present you with the art work.  They are proud and hopeful that you will love it, it was the best they could do.  You smile broadly and gush over how beautiful it is, you hug them and thank them for the wonderful gift.  You do not look at it and judge it for what it is not, for most certainly it is not the Mona Lisa!  Even so, you recognize that the offering is precious because they are incapable of doing better and you love them and the picture, exactly the way it is.

That is the way God sees us and our offerings to Him.  Not as a critic, but as a loving parent.  I am so grateful for that.  I must try to remember, when I look down at my little offering, that I should not be a critic, either.  For one day, I will stand before the King and the offering I give to Him will be more magnificent than any artwork ever created by human hands.  I will be perfected by His hand and molded in His love and we will rejoice together in this marvelous thing He has done.