Nov 15, 2009

Narcissism and the Cult of Personality

Here at Abigail and Dolley, I do not advocate name calling, nor demonetization of your political opponents; I will leave that to the left. Something is not right about our current President; he just does not compute. The day after the election, my sister called me and we discussed how disturbed we were about Obama. We detailed our unease and angst over this man, how our spirits rebelled when we heard him speak, how we felt the forebodings of dread and genuine fear for our country under the leadership of this man. Being a patriotic American, though, I said that we must pray for our new President and our country - I have done so. I remain as uneasy today as I was then.

I believe now, I understand why I have felt the unease. Have you ever been around an unstable or irrational person? I have, and it is the same feeling that I get when I watch President Obama. Many people, smarter than I have observed him and have concluded that he has strong Narcissistic traits. The below is a description of a Narcissist (copied from http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx36.htm)

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
  • Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  • Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  • Requires excessive admiration
  • Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  • Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  • Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  • Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
  • Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
You be the judge - if you have observed the man in any fashion, you will agree that he exhibits all of the above. Okay, big deal, right? Well, this is a serious psychological disorder and represents a real and present danger to the country and world. Mad men through the ages have suffered from NPD; Caligula, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Sadam Hussein, Mussolini all Narcissists who demanded absolute power and led their countries down self serving roads to destruction.

I am not saying this to be inflammatory, but the Devil is described in the Scriptures in the exact terms above. Perhaps this is why President Obama disturbs my Spirit.